This week I finally made a mug rug, using Julie's fabulous pattern...
Taking the photo in the garden makes it look like a huge quilt! However, it is only a 7" by 10" finished piece... Admittedly that is sufficient for a mug and a very big slice of cake ;-)
Being genetically incapable of following a pattern (or a recipe!) I did go with a few tweaks of my own. My background squares are 4", partly because I already had some, but it also worked better with the cat square. I loved Julie's straightline quilting, but didn't fancy having to deal with all the ends created by avoiding quilting over the appliqué. So, I quilted my background first, but only to the wadding. I then added the appliqué, and finally joined the whole front to the backing fabric - which didn't really need quilting. Thanks, Julie, for a great design!
I then set to work on my next Artist Trading Card. If you haven't come across this swap yet, it is great fun! Ali has now organised this six times, and it's my third go at joining in. The theme is 'Home, sweet home' this time around. For the uninitiated, that little card of mine is a mere 2.5" by 3.5". Some people create stunning pieces that size, there is a whole gallery of them on Flickr.
For where I'm at, simple tends to suit me best. With the little beads as blossom and flowers, this one is more ornate than the others I've done, but I'm still wondering about a second attempt, creating something more complex... At least I have one in the bag if time runs out!