Sunday, 18 January 2015

In the pink!

After the craziness of December, I am totally loving January, and the opportunity it brings to hibernate peacefully and hide away in my sewing room... It's been a very pink month so far, as Rosie wanted one of the Scottie dogs, just like the blue one we gave my godson. They are such a great project, and a very satisfying use of scraps. 


A good friend came round and spotted the cushions I'd made Rosie for Christmas. She liked them so much that she commissioned one for her daughter's birthday, only a little smaller...


Hopefully this will fit the brief, otherwise it will join the original two on the bed!



Lastly, I have wanted for ages to make something with flying geese. I'd seen a no-waste method, but opted for using up scraps for now. I still went for no waste, as the tiny corners were also put to good use...

 

In the end, to be completely honest, I found making the geese really boring and was thankful I'd only ever set out to do a wall hanging! On reflection, and having looked a bit more at what other people have done, I think flying geese work best in groups of identical ones. I'm not sure the four different sections here, flipping low volume with strong colours, and changing direction, really stand out. However, it is happily in place outside the sewing room:




 Yes, my sewing room even comes with a guard dog ;-) Hope you are having a happy and peaceful start to the new year.


10 comments:

  1. Quedan muy bonitos esos perros, sirven como mascotas y como cojines. Me encantan los que has hecho de la princesa y el guisante, esa tela es una preciosidad. Seguro que gusta. Y tu perrito es un fiel guardian de tus quilts. Aquí hace mucho frío. Muchos besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scrapiness of your flying geese - they make me want a big all over geese quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely makes Fran, and your guard dog looks very fierce ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see what you mean about the flying geese but the wall hanging is still very pretty and I love how you've made use of the tiny off cuts.
    It's great how you've used the feature fabrics in the cushions too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, those cushions are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mini is brilliant. I really like how you've done the side strips too with the mini pinwheels. The geese do show up and the grey looks great too.
    Rosie's Scottie is really cute! Now you have two guard dogs for the sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love pink in quilts, and so these projects really stand out as gorgeous to me! The flying geese look brilliant - I haven't yet tried making them but I can see how they would get tedious after a while! And I think the Scotty Dogs are a great gift - I see some of them in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that Scottie Dog is delightful! Loving all the pink; you may need to restock from my scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful projects...Looks like you have been busy, the cushions and the flying geese look fantastic, I love the colors! Oh! And the little Scottie...Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a big fan of pink so I'm loving this post - especially the scotty dog!! Bethxx

    ReplyDelete