Monday, 1 September 2014

Quilts for my daughter

Last week, Nesta nominated me for the Round the World Blog Hop... Thank you, Nesta! For my entry, rather than focus on the things I'm currently working on, I decided to show a couple of quilts which I haven't blogged about before...


My daughter was already about four when I started quilting, so I sadly missed out on making all those cute baby quilts! However, I'd just finished my very first, sampler quilt, when she announced that I had to make her an elephant quilt next :-) This made great use of some Laura Ashley precut squares, which two ladies passed on to me, no doubt relieving their guilt that they had bought them twenty years previously and never used them! It suited me fine, and this was my second quilt.


Next up, Rosie had the role of a rain cloud in her infant school assembly... She wore a blue t shirt, with wadded clouds on the front and back, along with some big blue rain drops. With her vivid imagination, as soon as it was over she requested a quilt with one rain cloud, and the other turned into a sheep! I had so much fun making this, it was before I knew about designer fabrics, or any of the fashionable quilt blocks, and just went with the flow...


Interestingly, therefore, this next one to me is far less creative, and more stilted. I felt constricted using these designer fabrics, and compelled to show off the cute pictures of the prints rather than unleash my own imagination... However, this one often makes an appearance on the guest bed when little friends come for a sleepover :-)


The triangles quilt is the most recent one, and I still love the fabrics I chose. Yes, it is a common design, but did involve some skill and precision stitching. I love the serenity of the fabrics, and it has the most gorgeous backing piece!


So, those are the four main quilts for my daughter...not including her various sofa throws! On to the trip around the world questions:

1) Where I live or have lived?
I grew up in Hertfordshire, then moved to the beautiful, historic city of Durham for University. I also spent a year living in Zaragoza, Spain, and a couple of months in Yverdon, Switzerland. Now I'm back in Hertfordshire, though more by default than by any strategic plan!

2) What am I working on?

Lately, I have worked hard at completing all those unfinished projects... So, I am only working on two: an Insanity quilt which involves handstitching 1333 hexagons, and which has been on the go for a mere six years, and my economy blocks. Then I have two pieces in line for quilting, my stunning Bee quilt, and a recent experiment in using blue.

3) How does my work differ from others in its genre?
Hmm, as above, my best tip if you want to be 'different' would be to stop reading blogs and go with your own instincts! However, blogs and their interaction and friendships are so much fun...
 
4) How does my creating process work?
Process?!? There really isn't one, I just launch in...
 
Now, technically I am supposed to pass the baton onto other people for this blog hop... However, it really feels that most bloggers have done this now, and the rest are so busy getting their kids back to school this week! Down my sidebar are just a few of the blogs I follow, so you may like to visit one of them for a change? There's so much wonderful inspiration out there :-)
 
 
 



10 comments:

  1. I love the sheep quilt. It's really interesting to see something you made before the days of knowing about designer fabrics etc.
    I like like your tip about not reading blogs in order to be different! Probably true but I'm not going to follow your advice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilts, Fran. I particularly like the elephant! I think Sometimes it is easier to be creative with a limited resource (like your liberty charms) and as you say looking at lots of blogs can lead to inspiration overload!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep going your own way, Fran, love following your creative journeys and there's some fabby quilts here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, son muy bonitos y los dos primeros son mis favoritos y los encuentro muy divertidos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the elephant! What a fun quilt. I am also smitten with your triangles though - I think precise quilts like that really help us improve our skills, but are maybe not as fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have yet to tackle a full sized quilt, but when I look at ones as beautiful as yours I know I should! They are just wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to see some of your quilts I'd never seen before. I love your rain cloud quilt. Great post on being yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous quilts, I have to say the triangles is my favourite, but the creativity of the first two is just amazing - it does make me wonder how much using designer fabric prompts our creative choices.

    ReplyDelete