Monday, 25 August 2014

Feeling blue...


Some time ago, I decided I really needed to branch out more with my colour palette, specifically aiming to use more blues, rather than my usual pink, purple and grey combination...



I ordered a FQ pack of the new Hadley range, in blues, by Denise Schmidt. Not for the first time, I like her fabrics better online than I do in my sewing room! I'd ordered the solid turquoise at the same time, as the shop's suggested coordinate, but really it is too strong for me, and I would have been better with a subtler solid.



I also blended in several low volume prints, which I'd been collecting lately. These certainly help to tone things down!



As simple, therapeutic sewing, this wasn't a bad project, but I can't say I love the result. My plan is to go ahead and quilt this, and add it to my shop or next craft fair stall. It is far more masculine that any of my other quilts, and may appeal to someone who favours different colours to myself!




Just as well I took the photos when I did - we are enduring the traditional Bank Holiday downpour today... Hope you are having a fun long weekend!


11 comments:

  1. Fran a mi me gusta mucho el color, es vivo, dinámico y puede ser de chico perfectamente. El turquesa se suavizará con el acolchado, me gusta, me gusta.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you found the perfect setting for this quilt! The colours work very well together and the fabric with the small brown squares was a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually really like the solid turquoise in the mix - it adds some brightness and draws out the pattern you created (which is fantastic - more interesting than just random I think). I am with you on the Denyse Schmidt fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's quite lovely! I like these DS prints and thinking to get some for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Deborah. I really like the turquoise, it gives great contrast. I do love turquoise though. It's a beautiful quilt top. Well done for branching out

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the whole thing too! Not your usual colours but a lovely quilt nonetheless - yep, works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We think it's gorgeous - and not masculine really - it's a beautiful blue quilt. Well done, as always your work is a delight to see and the blog so interesting (sorry about the rain!).
    With love, Granny & Addy xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a pretty patchwork top! I am a big fan of blues and greens. We would make a great team as you could help me to use more of the warm colours - especially purple! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's lovely, but then blue is my favourite colour! It reminds me of the crochet Giant Granny blankets that everyone was making a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love this, but then I like bright colours, although I too would normally tend towards pinks etc. I hope you do quilt it, even though you don't love it as I'm sure it would fit someone else perfectly. Bethxx

    ReplyDelete