Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Scrappy Dappy Doo!

Well, I was on a roll, tackling all those unfinished projects... I had the list down to just four remaining, when inspiration struck. Next thing, all my scraps were on the table! The trigger was this gorgeous looking quilt, and the fact that we were about to go to America on holiday, so it was wise to clear some space for the inevitable fabric purchases.


For my version, I decided to cut all my scraps to 5 inches long, but various widths ranging from 1.5 inches to around 3 inches. I did try out a layout with just the pink and grey scraps, but it was way too intense! So, everything went into the mix...



This is where I'm at so far. You can probably tell, in this picture the rows are sewn up, with each row around 40 inches wide. However, the rows are then just lightly pinned to the other rows for now. In fairness, it looked better outside (on the trampoline) in the bright sunshine than it did inside, but I just wasn't loving the effect.



So, this is a different take on the idea... What do you think? I have a yard of the neutral, white spot fabric, and could fit 3 inch strips in between the rows. Here's a close-up:



I'm pretty sure I know which one I prefer, but I'm keen to hear your thoughts!

11 comments:

  1. Fran me cuesta decidirme. Me parece más intenso el primero, todos los trocitos juntos. El segundo con las bandas de lunares, es más suave el efecto de color. Así que como lo parece que tú ya sabes lo que vas a hacer, la decisión es tuya. Espero ver esas compras de telas nuevas.
    Bss-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both ways look great but I do like the way the neutral strips add a subtle contrast to the scrappy strips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me gusta mas el segundo porque hace que me detenga más a mirar el color de las telas.Sea cual elijas,los dos son maravillosos.
    Bss.Feliz semana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer the first solution, it seems stronger to me. For the second I would see a white background making the strips stand out more. They make two completely different quilts, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the version with the sashing. Not a huge fan of really scrappy quilts, I suppose I like a bit of order thrown in :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it with the neutral dots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there. I prefer the sashed version too.
    See you next week! How long are you staying?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the scrappy one without the sashing!! it looks so gorgeous. What about using that lovely fabric as a backing or binding?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I Iike the unsashed version best, but I might change my mind if the sashing was white.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scrappy quilts are my absolute favorites...I like both of them but I slightly prefer the second idea with the neutral dots...Am I too late??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! I like the neutral fabric between....but I'm so late commenting you've probably decided by now - ha!

    ReplyDelete