Thursday, 19 June 2014

Florida fabric :-)

Thank you so much to everyone who left an opinion on my last post! I so enjoyed reading them, and realised that I tend to blog finished items and should think about getting feedback more often! That said, the majority vote went with my inclination, so the neutral spots have been added in...


I'm really happy with how it looks, and can't wait to use that gorgeous green pearl bracelet fabric on the back! I've been saving that for a while; in fact, the quilt top was deliberately sized to be the width of the green fabric :-)  Interestingly, a couple of people suggested white sashing. That made me realise that I have absolutely no plain white in my modest stash, and have only used it once before:


When this quilt was brand new, just back from being quilted (one of only 3 so far that I've had quilted professionally!) it looked beautiful. Now though, it's been through the wash a few times. Surprisingly, the white is still white, but the whole quilt has acquired that very crinkled look, and I don't feel white carries that off as well as patterns... However, it may be time to experiment with white a little more. In the meantime, the main purpose of the scrappy quilt was to clear the drawers for incoming fabric! We had a lovely holiday in Florida, a special and action packed trip. I took this favourite bag with me, and had kind of promised myself I would fill it with fabric, and no more...


Well, not far off! 


We discovered there was a Jo-Ann's near the hotel, and while I didn't buy fabric, they were great for books and templates, especially with a 40% off coupon.  It is so much nicer being able to browse books before purchasing, and I looked through hundreds before choosing.


This bright bundle belongs to Miss PatchyRose, who plans to make a row of beach huts! Fortunately the Simply Retro book has a good pattern for little houses.


I am loving this bundle of fabrics! The idea for a 'plus' cushion came from the Pillow Pop book, honestly it is packed with great ideas, there are several I will be trying out soon. Obviously the plus design is all over blogland and not difficult, but if you're feeling lazy, there's nothing quite like having the grid worked out for you...


Rather liked these, but not sure what I will make...


Handy bits for any small project - 


One of the shops we visited was doing 25% if you bought at least a yard... Kind of had to!


I deliberately went looking for low volume, and can't tell you how long it took me to find these! I definitely think low volume swaps are the way forward, I loved the charm square one I did. Essentially, low volume on its own is so boring, it's really hard to pick off the shelf! Finally got there with these few:


In between the fabric purchases, we had some wonderful days exploring nature reserves. An armadillo ran across the path, I nearly stepped on a very large snake, we rescued a large tortoise from the middle of a dual carriageway, and we saw heaps of manatees, dolphins and amazing birds.  We started out anxious about alligators, and were positively blasé by the end of one walk, where we came close to several!


Miss PatchyRose enjoyed a wild few days doing the Disney parks:-)

Hope you are getting some sunshine too!

4 comments:

  1. You are a lucky girl! Love your fabrics, especially the low volumes you found. Your bag must be bigger than it looks in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola familia, que guapos que estáis en la foto. Ese muñeco/oso/bichoguapo/que acurruca Rosita es monísimo, no sé que es, pero me gusta mucho. Menuda cantidad de telitas lindas has comprado en Florida... guauuuuuuuu.
    Y que decir de tu colcha acolchada profesionalmente , luce de maravilla.
    Al final has optado por la tendencia más suave, me gusta mucho. Espero ver las bandas finales y el acolchado.
    Un besazo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scrappy quilt looks great with the neutral spots in between. Looks like you had a great holiday, and bought lots of great souvenirs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are having such a great family holiday and that you managed to squeeze in some sewing shopping. I remember going to NY some years ago and being sure I'd bring back fabric, but then couldn't find any I really wanted to buy, I was quite disappointed! Love the photo with Monsters Inc!

    ReplyDelete