Thursday, 15 May 2014

Pop Cats

Lately I've been on a mission, to complete all those unfinished projects... Thankfully the list is now down to a mere four: two quilt tops in progress, and two finished but waiting for quilting. My goal is really to bring it down to one project at a time, but I'm very happy to have made inroads! Let's be clear - we're not including the two cross-stitches begun ten years' ago when I was pregnant, or any other knitting or crochet item languishing in the cupboard ;-)



Thank you for the lovely comments about this sweet blue cat fabric! After making the little bag in my last post, I decided to use up the scraps which had been generated. Yes, I celebrated the reduction in my unfinished projects by starting and finishing a new one...


I've wanted to try quilting as you go for ages... And still want to! Although that was my plan for this cushion, once I started pulling out scraps I couldn't help but want to sew them together first. So, I ended up with a large piece of patchwork, which I then quilted. What was new to me, was using this very thick thread, which creates an effect almost like handstitching. I quilted densely, leaving the cats free to pop out. This resulted in a very firm cushion cover.


As you might guess, it has found favour already!


Next up, I was asked to make a laptop cover, for a small computer. The recipient likes purple, and I already had this perfect choice:


 The lining is a dark purple, strengthened with interlining.


Can't wait to give it to the new owner, but please keep your fingers crossed...  A laptop cover needs to be a fairly snug fit, but I only had the online measurements to go by! I've tried testing it with books of the same dimensions, but will find out this week if I need to make a bigger version!


Lastly, one of the items to be crossed off the unfinished list was this creation by Miss PatchyRose. You may remember, ages ago I won a bag of scraps. My daughter was home from school that day, while I had to go to work. By the time I returned, she had sorted the scraps and made several rainbow strips...


This week we finally got round to quilting them, and adding the binding. I love the details of some of the pieces she chose! 


She was determined to make this as a table runner, and it now sits proudly on the dining table, under a lovely pottery plate which she bought from a craft fair. She certainly has good taste :-)


A funny thing happened to me this week... I commented on a blog post, rushing to get on to the next one. As it posted, up came a message on screen:

Slow down! You are posting too fast.

Crikey!! So true... If, like me, you need to keep things in balance, why not join the slow blogger movement? Have a great weekend, enjoy the heatwave if you're in the UK!

17 comments:

  1. So many projects, go you. I must admit it was the cat fabric that drew me in and I just had to find out more about your finished cushion! Delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all beautiful ! Miss Patchy Rose is a clever girl…………and you've stolen my cat again !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see you're using every bit of that cute cat fabric. I love the scrappy look of your pillow. The rainbow table runner is fun too, and looks perfect under the cat plate. How funny a message popped up, I've never seen that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cushion is so pretty ... can't wait for you to show me how to sew those zips in so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dense quilting in the cushion. Miss Patchy Rose is going to make a great quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get that message all the time on blog posts!! Life goes by too fast! Your pillow is so cute - I need to make one like that for my aunt who is a cat lover. And the rainbow table runner is just gorgeous - many congratulations to your daughter - she could go into business!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colours in all your projects and Miss Patchy Roses also. I recognize a scrap or two in the pillow cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't cats great?! I love the ones on your pillow and clearly someone else admires it:-) Do the cat and the teds keep each other company?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post! Full of fabulous finishes! And you are so right. Your daughter does have great taste! You both do beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed all of the projects you posted today, especially the cushion! I need to take the time to finish quite a few things, actually! Love the table runner with the pottery plate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me gusta mucho como has hecho el cojín de los trocitos con gatitos y por lo que veo a tu gata también le gusta y mucho. Que buena ayuda tienes con Rosita, que te combina los trocitos con mucho arte. Queda bien chulo el mini quilt debajo del plato del gato. Espero que hayas acertado con las medidas en la bolsa, la combinación de telas, perfecta.
    Un besazo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What amazing projects - I love your fabrics, and your cat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are some cute projects. Nice zipper and I love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What lovely projects, I bet if feels fabulous to get them finished. Humm.....I think I'd feel a bit worried if messages started popping up on my screen, they'd probably say 'write a blog post....it's been ages and you're rubbish!' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is nice to have a quick start/finish in the mix of bigger projects isn't it? I just love Miss PatchyRose's table topper! It is such a sweet, light rainbow :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is it a birthday today? Happy Birthday, Miss Patchy Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're right, your daughter does have good taste: the rainbow table runner is beautiful! I love your cushion too. You're doing a really good job with your wips!

    ReplyDelete