Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Re-booting the economy (blocks)

We are just back from a fabulous week in Wales! When I say we stayed at Pontins, some of you may wonder what it was like...


We went prepared :-) Although it had been exactly twenty years since hubby and I last went to this particular Christian convention, we could still remember how cold and basic the chalet was, and how very narrow the beds were. So, we took supplies, and were able to make it warm and cosy with little effort! We weren't in the chalet much anyway, as we went with four families from our church, and made the most of the conference and all the facilities, even managing an afternoon on the beach. It was such a refreshing week, that I have come back with renewed vigour for those economy blocks...


The ones above are some of the centres I managed to cut from my own stash, cutting two of everything as I also swapped for the ones below.


After a slow start...


I reached four blocks, and stalled. Two many more important deadlines, and too little suitable border fabric! This is also one of those projects which takes over your sewing space, as you need so many little bits of fabric on the go. Since I like to keep the sewing room tidy, it really didn't work for me alongside other projects.


There's nothing like a complete break from it all though, and this week I have found it remarkably easy to whip up some more! Now I'm loving these, the completely scrappy look is not something I've done before, and it's refreshing to use a whole mis-match of fabrics. My goal is 42, but 12 is a start :-)


Linking up with the wonderful slow blogging movement...

15 comments:

  1. Hi Fran, You certainly made it look nice with all the quilts you brought, must almost felt like home...The economy blocks looks great! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you certainly did make an effort to make the chalet cosy. I thought it was a room in your house at first glance. I'm loving your economy blocks. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the scrappy look to the economy blocks. Do you know why they are called economy blocks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, unfortunately I can't reply directly to you, as you come up as a no-reply blogger. As far as I know, they are called economy blocks because of the 'economising' on fabric by making them out of scraps. Mine are less economical, as I've made them larger than the standard size!

      Delete
  4. Love your version of the economy blocks. You haven't used solids and it's given a brilliant result! Keep it up, it's really worth it. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm visiting from the Slow Bloggers linkup - what fun economy blocks (and a great idea to swap the novelty prints)... and I see you enjoy using Liberty - isn't it so soft and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your economy blocks are lovely, especially the chicken and cats.
    How nice to have a small home from home on your retreat with your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your economy blocks are lovely, I really like the chicken and cats.
    I've been on many a weekend at holiday camps in Wales and know just how cold they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad you had a great time away. Was it Word Alive you went to? If so I am super jealous! Can't believe how lovely you made the chalet look :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blocks are so fun! Such cute centers, and they all look wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely blocks Fran. I'm sure you'll have your 42 before you know it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fran poco a poco sin agobios, llegarás a los 42 posiblemente antes de lo que piensas. Para hacer el monedero mira en el enlace que te pego, espero que te sirva.

    http://cocoon-mer.blogspot.com.es/2014/04/pap-monedero-con-conchas.html

    Besitos para todos y para Rosita.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me encantan tus bloques y tu combinación de telas son divinas y sin darte cuenta tendrás los tendrás todos cosidos.Feliz semana!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great quilts - love the pinwheels!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You certainly made the room look lovely! I think your economy blocks look great. I sometimes have a hard time doing completely scrappy, but yours looks really well balanced.Only another 30 to go!!

    ReplyDelete