Saturday, 1 March 2014

Exciting times...

Like so many of us, I've sometimes considered whether I could make a bit of pocket money out of sewing. Definitely not looking for a change of career, but wouldn't it be nice if the fabrics could at least pay for themselves?!? Well, I was thrown in at the deep end, when someone I met through work asked me to make a quilt for her absolutely beautiful classic pram - think Mary Poppins... The only way was Liberty, or Kaffe Fassett at a push, and thankfully Ali came to my rescue with a special selection of fabrics.


First up, I made this simple quilt, adding the extra detail of more Liberty round the edges. A rather extravagant use of Liberty, but really effective and so soft to touch:







Then, as I wanted to provide a choice, I went for the Kaffe Fassett option:





And finally, I looked at my Liberty leftovers, and decided to put them all together in a more quirky looking quilt...





I absolutely love this one and so did my customer! This is the one she chose, just in time as she has a new grandchild arriving any day who will need tucking up in that gorgeous pram. As first customers go, I was unbelievably lucky in that mine is an artist, so very appreciative of the work that goes into creating.


My top tip of the week though, is quilting gloves! Who knew how fabulous these are, and what a huge difference they make?!? Having been sewing and quilting flat out for the last few weeks, I'm really looking forward to a weekend of... sewing. My economy blocks have been on hold, and there are several other projects I'm keen to get on with. It's quieter round here, our Rosie has gone away for the weekend with the church youth. In nine and a half years, she has had very few nights away, but was excited about this weekend. Her main concern? She was worried how we would cope without her... Apparently she often wonders how we managed before she came along :-) We reassured her that we would be fine! After all, we still have the dog...









15 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts. Your customer had a lovely selection to choose from. Are you going to sell the other two? I always find it difficult to charge people as they often don't appreciate how much the materials cost and how much work goes into making things so it was good that your customer was an artist. Enjoy your weekend off. Happy sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Fran - these are three stunningly beautiful quilts. I love all of them, and your customer must have had quite a hard job deciding which one to buy. I think in the end the Kaffe Fassett wins for me - but only because I absolutely love the bright colours :-) Brilliant work and I hope you get plenty more commissions after this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're all beautiful. I too was wondering what you're planning to do with the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, she must have been hard put to make a decision - they are all lovely!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous Fran... (and your dog is so pretty too!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. And are you managing without her?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm, it would have been a tough choice for me too, Fran - all of those quilts are delightful. Love your work! I bet you're missing Miss PR more than she's missing you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! No wonder your customer was happy with three to choose from! I love them all, and it would have been a difficult choice, but I think I would probably have chosen the same one that she did. Hope Miss PR had a great weekend. I know you will have missed her really!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo,bravo,son fabulosos.A cada cual más bonito y no me extraña que tu clienta este contenta porque son muy bonitos!!

    Bsos y feliz semana.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Only just got round to seeing this ! (Put it down to old age). But as above - those quilts are fabulous and I am so proud of our amazingly clever daughter in law. Love the gloves too - and look forward to SEEING the other quilts, and hearing about Rosie's weekend away very soon. Love Granny x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like all three! There is a crescendo of beauty there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All three quilts are sweet, but the gray was the standout for me as well :) I've often thought I could use a pair of those gloves, just never have just gone ahead with it.....the pup pic is so fun(ny) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh they are all lovely but I rather like the first one, although I'm not surprised your customer went for the grey one as it is fabulous. Never heard of quilting gloves....I'm off to investigate more! Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your customer was so lucky to choose from those three. All of them are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all three quilts but the grey one is especially beautiful. It is also lovely to know that as an artist the customer really appreciated not only the beauty of the quilt, but also have much love and work went into creating it x

    ReplyDelete