Sunday, 5 January 2014

New year, new quilt

Totally loving my latest venture into low volume patchwork! 



These blocks are easy to make, so I'm half way there now towards the sofa throw...


Along with the unexpected bonus of all the pinwheels made from the otherwise wasted corners. Since each blocks yields two pinwheels, I should be able to make two cushions covers to match the sofa throw. Thanks, Julie, for the inspiration!


I wasn't planning a big recap of 2013, as I wasn't sure I had much to show. However, it was a year of big changes for me, and there are some thank yous I would love to say. These photos show the beautiful gifts which Miss PR and myself received from around blogland this year, all from people we have yet to meet! In addition, I won a $50 giveaway from Southern Fabric, and really appreciate their generosity. A huge thank you to the many fabulous bloggy friends out there :-)


As well as getting to know many bloggers so much better, I entered my first two charm swaps. The low volumes are already featured above, and the rainbow charms appear in the giant star below, along with just a few of my favourite makes last year. My other new venture was to join a sewing bee, known as the Strip Bee. This has been a wonderful challenge, with the latest strip pushing me right out of my comfort zone! No photos yet, the big reveals come in March.


I was also able to visit two exhibitions, the Kaffe Fassett one and the Festival of Quilts. Both were hugely inspiring!


Lastly, 2013 was the year of the dog here! Poppy the puppy arrived just a year ago, and has been an absolute delight. I spent the first eight months as a stay at home puppy owner, which was a wonderful time. By the summer, I was itching for something more, and managed to get a new job as a charity fundraiser, so a total career change after eighteen years of teaching! I absolute love it, and ended the year feeling very fortunate. The last thank you goes to my regular helpers and supporters...


Wishing you all a wonderful 2014!

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a fantastic year! May 2014 be as good:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great year with lots of beautiful makes! Well done! Maddie says hi to Poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow loving the LV star blocks and the off-cuts are a great bonus.
    Sounds like a really good year, looking forward to seeing what you make in 2014

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love love your use of the low volume charms. I hope 2014 is a good year for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much beauty in all photos. You are really skilful! Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a lovely review Fran. Love all that you have made and sounds like you have made the most of the opportunities you have had :-) I will continue to enjoy following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done some lovely work. As I've already told you I love the LV star quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your stars and low volume, it looks very striking. A successful year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, the stars are a great idea for the low volume charms. They look brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Muy bonitas tus estrellas, siempre haces gamas de colorido muy armoniosos y cálidos me encantan. Bonito resumen del año pasado. Enhorabuena por tu nuevo trabajo, me alegro que te haga feliz.
    Un gran beso para Rosita y para ti. Esos ayudantes que tienen son el mejor control de calidad de tus quilts.

    ReplyDelete