Thursday, 6 June 2013

Kaffe (and Café)

Finally made it up to London yesterday to go to the Kaffe Fassett exhibition :-) I've always loved his work, even as a child, and the exhibition didn't disappoint one bit. I hadn't realised that he had started out as an artist, so it was interesting to see some of his paintings there too. However, it was, of course, his textiles that really excited me... First up, this amazing shirt quilt, artistically wrapped around a pillar...


The entire space was used (and filled) so creatively.


The downside was that, everywhere you looked, there were signs telling you not to touch... That was really tough! I was desperate to flip corners of quilts up to check how he'd done the binding, or see what the backing was like. But no, I resisted! All apart from this one:


This was actually a 'feeling' wall, covered in fabric and wool samples which you were encouraged to touch!


There was a whole long wall of his amazing knitwear, and plenty more columns wrapped in quilts.


Now, I don't mean this critically, but it was interesting to see that the sewing was not perfect... I did overhear two sweet little older ladies commenting to one another about some of the alignment of rows! There were definite places where quilting in the ditch had slipped out of the ditch, which happens with me on a regular basis. So, I was absolutely inspired, refreshed, and equally felt I don't need to be so hard on myself at times!


There were a couple of incredible snowball quilts, large and full of colour. I've not been such a fan of the snowball design, but am now definitely inspired to have a go. With strong fabrics it is clearly very effective! If you are anywhere near London in the next couple of weeks, do try and get there before it ends. You need about an hour for Kaffe, and then another hour or two for the many tempting Cafés nearby...





7 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good time. I don't think he makes the quilts himself, I think he just designs them. I may be wrong.
    I love his use of colour .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the photos, Fran, must try and find some time to visit - sorry I couldn't meet up with you. Another time, maybe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looks fab, and i can see why you would feel the urge to stroke them, v difficult to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing, I'd love to go and in theory I could do it in a (long) day from here but time is not going to allow. I won a copy of his autobiography and it's a fascinating read, I too have been a fan of his for a long time, my mum had one of his early knitting books when I was a child and I love to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing your photos makes me think I really should try and go to this. It's heartwarming to know the quilting wasn't perfect. I too give myself far too hard a time over this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fabulous. Wonder if it's a travelling exhibition and heading north...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow his quilts in that venue look pretty amazing ! I just recently bought my first Kaffe fabrics. I was pronouncing his name like cafe, the lady in the shop politely corrected me...lol!

    ReplyDelete