Friday, 17 May 2013

Perseverance...

...fabric scraps, some unpicking, a new needle in my sewing machine, adjusting the tension of the sewing machine, walking away from the sewing machine, wishing I had basting spray, two very late nights, and a new bag...


All thanks to Heidi, who blogged this fabulous tutorial this week! For the full details, do look at Heidi's pattern. This is how mine went...










Yes, it is a little wonky, but it was a huge learning curve, and I'm just so thrilled to have completed it! I've followed all the comments about Weekender Bags and Aeroplane Bags, and baulked at the expense and the difficulty people have mentioned. This bag was made entirely from scraps and some recently acquired fabric thanks to Jennifer's giveaway ;-) I've definitely picked up some new techniques to give me the confidence to tackle a larger bag at a later date.

And, of course, some out-takes...



Have a great weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Eeeek! I absolutely LOVE it, Fran! Those scraps you added to the gusset are fabulous, and the extra quilting looks great. Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't make it easy on yourself, Fran but the result is definitely worth it! This is brilliant (makes my bag making look amateurish by comparison) ... and nice to see our fabric being used. You should be proud of what you have achieved here - love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic - you should feel very pleased with yourself! Love your outtakes. Do you think your cat sat there because it was cosy, or is it a protest statement?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran, ya veo que tienes dos probadores de primera que te pasan el control de calidad, que ricos que están disfrutando de tus bonitos trabajos.
    Enhorabuena por ese bolso te ha quedado muy bonito.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fab, and Heidi makes some really inspirational things, always impresses! Love the scraps, it looks really cool- I always learn loads bag making, and then vow never to make another, until the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bag. Love your fabric and colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. I fancy having a go. Haven't got linen but have some fabric that's been waiting to be turned into a bag.
    Love the fabrics you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great, well worth the effort and even better knowing it didn't cost the earth to make! (5 Weekender's down, I know those are really expensive and a bit teeth gritty to sew). Beth/thelinencat xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little dog is such a sweetie and your cat is pretty similar to mine too! They are always drawn to whatever you've just been working on aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Fran, I have just discovered your blog and love it :-) I was so happy to see you had made this bag and also the cushion designed by cluck cluck sew. Two patterns on my wish list to make and I love your versions.

    ReplyDelete