Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Slow progress...

I was tickled pink by Audrey's comment on my recent quilt collage, where she thought for a second that the twenty quilts featured were all ones I'd completed in January... What a lovely, but sadly unfounded, compliment!! No, those twenty were probably only about ten short of the full load ;-)
 Any kind of sewing has been firmly pushed into second place since the arrival of this lovely puppy at Christmas...


I can't complain though! However, as Miss PR pointed out recently, my Sherbet Pips quilt has reached an almost record breaking (for me) level of slowness... The only exception is my handstitched Insanity, which will, I'm sure, continue to drive me nuts for some time to come!!
With Sherbet Pips, I bought the fabric on holiday two years ago, started making the squares 16 months ago, completed the top quite a while ago, started quilting it... ran out of thread... emergency trip to patchwork shop for thread yesterday... and finally a quilted piece!




Yet again I failed to do anything particularly creative with the quilting, but, after much contemplation, went for a grid pattern, 3 inches apart. I was so concerned about quilting over the cute pictures, and am now delighted with how it's turned out. The quilting definitely adds a lovely texture to this simple design.


The backing is, I'm afraid, a bed sheet... But not just any sheet, a top quality M&S sheet. 


It still lacks the binding - wouldn't want to rush things - but I couldn't resist a sneaky try-out on the bed! For those who like the science part, this was made from one layer cake, and now measures around 43 by 59 inches. I find that just right for a single bed, it covers the width, but not the pillow at the head end. Covering the pillow would, in any case, suffocate so many teddy bears, it's not worth trying...
When I snuck out to the patchwork shop yesterday, of course I didn't just buy the new thread I needed... I actually had a whole list at home, which I forgot to take... One item on the list was wadding for my recent charm square quilt. Another huge benefit of using charm squares, was that the shop assistant and I were easily able to work out what the overall size must be, and buy the right amount of wadding :-)


I also invested in some proper quilting needles and thread, ready to have a go at some hand quilting...


And I was delighted to find a triangle template set, at a good price...


Also couldn't resist one of Camille's patterns...


Not sure when I'll get round to it, Miss PatchyRose has set me a challenge of doing a really fast quilt next! I'm not entirely convinced, I rather like the slow approach; the eagle eyed will have spotted that I have also signed up to the 'slow blogger' revolution ;-) Click on the button to the right to read the manifesto, it's brilliant!
Need to get cracking now, I have two birthday presents to create, and an idea for how to sneak an entry into Ange's next book competition...




3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I like sneaky entries! This is a fabulous looking quilt, only a little push to get it finished now, you can do it, when you get the time, maybe 2013, or 2014, don't rush these things! I started a quilt 2 years ago last January, and it's still not done, but then it is a double bed sized, hand sewn hexy quilt, so I think that's ok, isn't it??!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que plácidamente duerme vuestro cachorro, será mucho entretenimiento y mucha dedicación.
    Fran te ha quedado estupendo el acolchado, me gustan esas diagonales que transforman los cuadrados, queda genial y la trasera en gris, es perfecta. Que curioso encontrar hilo Finca... yo lo utilizo en lugar de los Valdani tiene la misma textura, pero no el mismo precio. Que bonito el proyecto de Camile...
    Besitos para ti y para Rosita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slow and steady wins the race as they say!

    ReplyDelete