Thursday, 31 January 2013

Thankful Thursday

Today I'm thankful for so many things! January has been a great month, a vast improvement on 2012 so far :-) I have enjoyed so many things that I didn't have the time or the energy for last year. There are even signs of a long awaited shelf appearing in my sewing room...
Meanwhile, today I have gone from this...


to this...


this...


and to this, the top two complete rows! If you are following this as a beginner to patchwork, you need to know the ironing bit...


See how the seams are pressed one way on the top row, and the other way on the second row? That will help so much when sewing the rows together.


 Here are all the lovely rows, pressed and ready!


Take the top two rows, and stitch them together, sewing from left to right. 


I very rarely pin, preferring to use my fingers to gently manipulate the fabric through the machine, making sure the seams match up. 


Sew all the rows into pairs, each time working from left to right.


Then sew pairs into fours, this time sewing from right to left. I hope that makes sense. It just means that it will correct any slight warping of the fabric that may occur if you sewed each seam in the same direction.


Two halves ready... and a grand finale!


I love this quilt! It is so bright and colourful, so not at all me ;-)


I would never pick a wide range of colours like this, all my quilts are 'safe' shades of a similar palette. 


This is great! Can't wait to get on and quilt in and start using it. 
I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial on how to make the simplest of quilts, made effective through using a charm pack (or four). If you make one yourself, please do send me a photo, I'd love to see it!

6 comments:

  1. It looks great, the colours are fabulous, some of my favourites there....berry reds and pinks and nice mustard yellow. Great quilt sewing advice as well (for one, like me, who has never sewn a quilt...at least not since I was a girl and then it was a make-it-up-as-you-go-along job). Bethx (thelinencat)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran, que bonito te ha quedado el top, que colorido, transmite alegría.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I love all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip of sewing from one direction and then the next. I usually am so impatient that I just SEW! But I need to be more careful. You've inspired me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great. I really like all those bright colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And it really is even more beautiful in real life! Great to see you today. X

    ReplyDelete