Monday, 1 October 2012

Pipping the Sherbet...

Well, either it was incredibly cathartic putting it out there about how hard I find sewing with picture fabrics...


 or else it was the cuteness of Red Riding Hood...


but somehow or other in the last 24 hours I have managed to complete my Sherbet Squares!!


It only took 18 months, but in the end, I decided that a finished quilt was better than nothing, and just whipped up the remaining pieces needed for a single bed...


Fortunately I had a piece of batting left from the Giant Star that is the exact size needed for this project! Currently it is all laid out on the guest bed, and I keep popping into the spare room and switching a couple of squares around... taking photos certainly helps with a quilt layout, somehow you spot things you didn't notice before.


As I said in my last post, the thing I find hard with these beautiful fabrics is they rob me of my creativity, all the work was done for me! It would be a shame to cut them really small and lose the design, but there was minimal skill involved in making squares ;-) However, I do love the overall effect, and will certainly make more bags with these pretty images.

Thanks once again to Lynne, who has set up another blog meet! A great way to find new inspiration and hook up with like minded people. Thank you to all the people who've popped by already and left nice messages!


Lily's Quilts
Lily's Quilts

4 comments:

  1. I also agonise over prints with an actual picture! You have done a beautiful job - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about prints with pictures like those. It can also be harder to use them outside the collection (i.e., mixing fabrics from different designers and manufacturers). The matchy matchy part of me likes the fact that all the designs from a particular line will work together, but I have found in practice that I feel like a quilt is more my own creative work if I use a range of fabrics from different designers.

    Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm glad you like the mosaic I made for the Softly Against Dark competition. That thistle fabric is a gorgeous colour - maybe pick up the Anna Maria Horner feathers in a similar colour as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see what you man about the picture fabrics, it's much easier with the smaller patterns. Your drawstring Red Riding Hood bag is so cute and the quilt looks great. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a finish! And I agree...large prints can be hard to work with. I only have one and it took me forever to figure out how I wanted to use it.

    ReplyDelete