Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Summer sewing

Miss PatchyRose and I are ten days into our six weeks' off school, and very much enjoying it so far. We have had several days' out, to a music festival and London, and spent a lot of time with different friends, just enjoying their company. The weather has finally been sunny and warm, after weeks of rain, enabling us to enjoy the garden and a lovely new, deep paddling pool. We are also really enjoying the Olympics!

My sewing aims for the summer are to finish off various bits and pieces. So far, I have completed a patchwork bag for myself, using the scraps of Flea Market Fancy that were left over from the giant star quilt. Like many people sewing and blogging, I rarely make anything for myself, so this was a fun project!


This bag is larger than the version I make for children, big enough for a magazine. I even managed to add a small pocket on the inside...


For the moment, it is hanging up in the sewing room, but ready for use!


In addition, I have now completed four stars, combining some beautifully soft linen with leftover scraps of patchworking fabric. I started off with no particular plan, but have decided to leave it at four and create a small wall hanging. I'm not sure the linen would work well with anything larger.


My plan was to resist buying any new fabric, although in fairness, it has been a while. A friend and I are going to meet at our favourite patchwork shop in a couple of weeks, which is about half way between our two houses, giving each of us just over an hour's drive. So, I was saving myself for that trip, until I came across a blog entry on Very Berry Handmade, showing some gorgeous and unusual fabrics for sale at Celtic Fusion Fabrics. This wasn't a website that I'd come across before, but I couldn't resist these lovely dandelion prints and some coordinating fabrics...


The green fabric is actually from a completely different range, Echo, but is one I've admired for a while. I'm really pleased with how well it blends with the other fabrics, and will hopefully come up with a design to use them all together.


In addition, Gwen at Celtic Fusion Fabrics kindly added an extra bonus piece of fabric, this sweet chicken print:


I absolutely love it, and already have a plan for it!
Hope you are enjoying your summer too!


2 comments:

  1. Fran, te ha quedado genial. La tela del forro es preciosa y el tamaño perfecto.
    Me gustan las telas que has comprado son muy lindas. Y me ha gustado encontrar la tela de las máquinas de escribir que andaba buscando.
    Me alegro que el buen tiempo os deje disfrutar de las vacaciones y de las olimpiadas.
    Besos para ti y Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vale, se me olvidaba decirte, que las estrellas quedan muy bonitas.

    ReplyDelete