Monday, 30 April 2012

The door handle bag...

Recently I spent a two week period doing firstly a school trip to Spain, immediately followed by Brownie Pack Holiday. Both were fun, rewarding times, but both also involved sharing a room with other adult helpers and having very little space to put anything. On one trip, I even had to sleep on a top bunk, something I haven't done for a long time! It gave me the dilemma of what to do with my phone, torch and glasses last thing at night, to keep them accessible. As a bonus though, it lead to the creation of this - the door handle bag...


After making my Cath Kidston bag recently, I wanted to get more practice at sewing zips. So I started fiddling around, added one over sized handle, and realised the potential of what I'd just made ;-) This would also be useful in a tent, or anytime you don't have a bedside table. With the zip, I had a go at putting the little extra pieces of fabric at each end...


Still not perfect, but a steady improvement!


I made a couple more for practice, and varied the design to patchwork:


  


Needless to say, each of these has now been given away as a gift, and I still need to make one for myself!









4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my blog and for popping by! I love your zip work, it's an art I'm trying to slowly master too!

    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever Fran and a great idea too. Zips and I don't mix well, so I'm very impressed with these fab bags. Have to get some practice in one day. Glad the community meet went so well, lots of new quilters in the making!
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Estupendas, estás también.
    Que trabajadora estás.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very clever idea! Hope you've made yourself one. I should have made a hospital version LOL

    ReplyDelete