Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Completed hourglass quilt!

Over the last couple of weeks I have been focused on finishing off the hourglass quilt. Having started it without a specific plan, as it developed I realised the similarities with the It's a Hoot quilt I gave as a Christmas present. 


It's a Hoot was also made from one charm pack, and bordered with plain blue fabric. I had enough of that blue left over, that I could use it for the hourglass quilt. So, I decided to finish it up as a birthday present for MIL so the two  can go together on her sofa.

Sewing all the squares together was harder than I expected, with all those little seams and joins. But I was happy with the end result!


Once the top was done, I had trouble finding fabric for the backing, and ended up taking a risk with a plain, darker blue from John Lewis. My method is to tape the backing firmly to the floor, lay the wadding over it, stretch it out, then put down the quilt top. Then it's a case of pin, pin, pin... 


Here's a close-up in case you hadn't realised just how much pinning... ;-)


It tends to feel like you've done a Pilates class by the end, with all the crawling around the floor. I quilted it in straight lines, in the ditch, which is my usual option. 


 I'm really pleased with the darker blue backing, as somehow it works well with the different shades of blue that feature on the front. I went with the same for the binding.


Here's the final quilt:


5 comments:

  1. It looks great! I love the colours, bright without being too much. Fab. Bethx (the linen cat)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! The background really binds it together. Very pretty!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Fran, a ver si ahora puedo dejarte un comentario.
    Me gustan las dos, la segunda mucho más, es preciosa y la cominación de colores genial.
    No he encontrado el traductor en tu blog.
    gracias por tu visitas.
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fran, the quilt looks really great, it's come together so well. I know what you mean about crawling on the floor, but I tend to have 'help' from the cats when I'm doing it.
    Karen -x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's great how enthusiastic cats get about quilting ;-)

      Delete